Bollywood-ish

Wednesday 15 June 2011

When two do the same, it is not the same...

When two do the same, it is not the same. As least that is what an old Czech proverb claims and I am sure you will all agree. Stretching my mind to limits in search of some idea of what else to contribute to the Kapoor Khazana besides reviews (at least one more is coming too), I finally landed at one of Kareena´s most famous songs. Or rather - one of the most famous songs that has ever been picturized on this currently most popular Kapoor. It is of course "Yeh Mera Dil" from the successful re-make of Don, where she made a guest appearance, enacting the character originally played by legendary Helen. And though her appearance in the film was brief, it definitely got enough attention thanks to the song. Like probably 99% of people I could not help but compare Kareena´s modern version with the original picturization, and that´s when the proverb used above really proved its meaning.

The melody is the same, the lyrics have not changed, neither has the concept of the scene. the motives driving the girl remain the same as in the original - she is buying time by shaking her booty, hoping that every second police might arrive to capture the evil Don. So what are the differences?

Well, the new version of Yeh Mera Dil is definitely more polished in every aspect. The set is not only more interesting, but actually does justice to Don´s character, not to mention the lighting and everything is very intimate. Kareena is no doubt 100 times more sexy then Helen, and though I don´t think much about either of the ladies look-wise, she does look better too. In fact, the new version of the song somehow makes more sense - because Don actually DOES want to get naughty with the girl (I never understood why Amitabh went with Helen in the first place, as he had no interest in her whatsoever). The main difference however, leaves the new Don down. And that is - Helen could dance. Kareena is a great actress with exceptional screen presence, but dancer - no, never.  I must admit that some of her movements in the song made me smile and even laugh. The choreographer cannot be blamed, since Helen in the original version too had some weird steps, yet she managed to be graceful throughout. But it is fun to watch both versions. Because when two do the same, it does not neccesarily mean one of them is better, but they are bound to be different...

I am quite aware that this post holds no value whatsoever. Treat it as an idea born out of a lazy moment, not chiseled to perfection or with some impactful point. Yes, I do admit it: the whole writing is just an excuse to post the two vids!

5 comments:

  1. Agreed! Kareena's dancing in her version was kind of laughable. But somehow, I liked the new version better. Not just cause of SRK but because it seemed sleeker, sexier, and Kareena was just plain hotter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never understood, why Helen was so popular - just because she has fair skin? She's not sexy AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I preferred the new version, because like "The Bolly'Hood" said, it is much much sexier, though Kareena is a less good dancer. But anyway... I think the main reason why I prefer it mostly is, without surprise, King Khan. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be a bit biased as a major Helen fan, but I would say - watching the original DON film that Don has ALREADY been naughty with Helen's character... And, satisfied, he's ready to leave. Just saying... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the original Don - well, I guess them being completely dressed confused me! :D

    ReplyDelete